LVT or Luxury Vinyl Tile is quickly becoming the top choice for residential and commercial flooring installations, and for good reason–it’s the easiest to maintain of any flooring material on the market today.
This engineered flooring surface is constructed from five specially formulated layers that give it enhanced durability, resistance to water and surface stains, and the ability to mimic the appearance of hardwood, tile, or stone. LVT typically comes in smooth and textured variants to prevent slipping, which makes it a natural choice for kitchens, bathrooms, and healthcare facilities where personal safety is a priority. Let’s take a look at LVT’s innovative construction and see how this low-maintenance material is shaking things up in the flooring business.
- Vinyl Backing – This side down. The bottom layer of LVT is made of a vinyl core which supports the top layers, muffles the sound of footsteps, and gives vinyl flooring its snappy underfoot feeling. Depending on the specific LVT you choose, this bottom layer is affixed to the subfloor with tape or adhesive. In a floating floor situation, only the perimeter is attached with adhesive.
- Fill Layer – This sturdy layer is there for stability to prevent the other layers from buckling or creasing.
- Print Layer – Thanks to modern imaging and print technology, top-of-the line LVT products now come with textured and convincing photorealistic representations of hardwood, tile, or stone embedded between layers. When you combine the maintenance benefits of LVT with its excellent mimicry abilities, it’s almost better than the real thing. And at half the cost of hardwood, it’s no big deal if it gets a little scratched, making it ideal for pets and kids.
- Laminate Layer – This clear layer provides a physical barrier between your dirty shoes and the other layers. A final clear coat is applied to this top layer for extra water and stain resisting power.
- Wear Layer – Finally, a topcoat of polyurethane sealant is applied to the laminate layer to seal out stains and moisture for a durable, long-lasting floor that’s easy to maintain.
Cleaning Luxury Vinyl Tile Floors
Step one: sweep daily (or more realistically, weekly) with a soft broom and dustpan. Step two: mop once a week with a damp (not wet) mop and a neutral floor cleaning solution. Avoid heavy-duty chemicals or abrasive scrubbers. Step three: kick back and relax because that’s it!
Thanks to its durable construction, cleaning and maintaining your vinyl floor is really that simple. Of course, accidents will happen, but most spills can be cleaned with a damp microfiber cloth and a little elbow grease starting at the outer edge of the stain and working towards the center. To stop dirt in its tracks, stick a welcome mat on either side of your entry doors and place rugs in high-traffic areas like hallways or staircases, and LVT almost maintains itself.
If you’re thinking about making an upgrade to beautiful and easy-to-maintain Luxury Vinyl Tile, give Dan’s Wholesale Carpet & Flooring a call to speak with one of our certified LVT experts. Or, stop into one of our convenient Northeast Ohio locations to see for yourself how attractive and durable LVT could be in your home.